Monday 17 April 2017

Get To Know You Interview - Dawn Torrents




Book Questions

Tell us your latest news?

I am very excited to announce that I have recently signed a deal with Audible.com and my Amelia Series is now available on Audio too! I was recently interviewed by Graham Torrington on his BBC Radio late night love show. Graham is a radio legend in England and it was an honour to have been interviewed by him about my books.


What book are you reading now?

Nicholas Sparks – The Lucky One. After watching this movie starring the lovely, Zac Efron, I just had to get the book! Love the movie and the book.


Your books are so emotional. How long does it take for you to be able to get the characters out of your mind and move on to the next?

I get asked this question frequently… Actually, I usually take a two-week break after completing a novel and then I dive straight back in, all fresh with my next story lined up!



Are the names of the characters in your novels important?

Yes – very important. I love researching names, I always have an image of my protagonists in my mind and the name has to be fitting…


What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

Ah- now there’s a question! Are we sane? Mmm… I do question myself from time to time, ‘Giggles.’ Seriously, my daughter keeps me sane and grounded. I think a supportive family around you helps enormously. Also, it is important to take time away from your laptop and especially social media at times. Just to gain clarity and reboot your brain. I like to go jogging early in the morning to clear my head and thus, keeping me sane!

What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?

This is a tough one! Mmm…well, we writers are under the constant scrutiny of our critics good and bad. It is to be expected to get the odd bad review that completely floors you and ruins your whole day, and at times, makes you reconsider (albeit briefly) your position as an author. I had one reviewer who ripped me to shreds in a 2 star review for one of my books. After glancing through the reviewers other reviews though, I felt much better after discovering, I was one of her lucky victims as most of them received one star reviews.  A troll comes to mind here as there was not one good review from her about any author she had read and there was a lot? Very odd I thought. Nevertheless, you have to take the good with the bad. There will always be someone who does not like your writing style or story. You cannot please everyone. We have to accept this as part of our job. Our work is up for public scrutiny at all times, it stands to reason that there will be good and bad comments written. We just have to develop a thick skin, accept it and move on…




How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?

I never reply or comment on reviews good or bad. This is a definite no no. It depends on the review - sometimes it can upset me… I am human after all. However, I appreciate constructive critical reviews, as these can help us writers in a positive way at times. I accept bad reviews as part of the job. I take a deep breath and pray the next review is a good one! As I mentioned above, you cannot please everyone. Some readers will love you others will hate you…


What was the hardest part of writing your book?

I have written and published 14 books now with a 15th on the way. I would say, my autobiography series, Amelia’s Story, Amelia’s Destiny and Amelia The Mother, were the hardest books for me to write. I laid my soul bare for the world to read. I wrote them candidly and shared my inner most, deepest emotions. This was not only hard for me, but deeply emotional too. When you revisit a past like mine and then write about it, you come face to face with a few old demons and this was hard for me. I wrote my three-book Amelia Series for my daughter. So that when she grows up, she will fully understand her mother’s journey, which ultimately led to her own journey.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned a great deal from writing my Amelia Series – The human spirit is infinitely strong. The human spirit can endure a great deal, more than most people can appreciate. The most important lesson I have learned, is to always treat people how you wish to be treated yourself. Words are so powerful; in fact, I believe words are the most powerful tool on the planet. We should choose our words carefully – once a word is spoken it can never be taken back…


Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Yes – Never give up on your dreams. No matter what anyone else says – remember, this is your life and no one else’s, so live it your way.


Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or a movie?

Not exactly, however, I have seen similarities in characters in books or  actors in a movie.



Describe in 5 words, your writing:

Emotive – Emotional – Suspenseful – Deep - Meaningful
What do you use to write your book?

I always use my laptop.


Do you listen to music while you write or read?
Not while I am reading. But I love to listen to ‘Debussy’ (classical piano concertio) while writing emotional scenes in my fictional novels.


If you could write with any other author(s) who would it be and why?

Wow! There are so many – living and dead.

Firstly, if he were alive, I would love to have co-authored a novel with Charles Dickens. I love his writing and I have read every one of his books. I guess I can relate personally to many of his characters and feel a connection with them.
As for authors living, there are too many to mention!






NON- BOOK QUESTIONS

When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up? A writer


Did/Do you have a nickname? Florence Nightingale

What are your pet peeves? Tardiness, I do not like lateness. If I have arranged to meet someone, a friend etc, I hate to be kept waiting!

What is your favourite coffee shop drink?
Double espresso

What's your favourite tv show?

The Walking Dead, The Vikings and The Man in the High Castle

What is your favourite kind of cookie?
Double chocolate MaryLands

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you have and why?

An extra thick journal
Set of pens
Hammock



Where would you go if you had a time machine?
The beginning of time

Which is your favorite quote?
Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away – unknown

If you were an ice cream what flavor would you be?
Chocolate chip

What song best describes you?
There are many!!




THIS OR THAT

Pepsi or Coke - neither

Cows or Sheep -cows

. Castle or Town house -castle

City or Country - country

Lover or Fighter - Lover

Pop or Rock Music - Both

80’s or 90’s - both

Singing or dancing - Dancing




No comments:

Post a Comment