Sunday 23 April 2017

Get to know you interview - JF Holland






Book Questions



Tell us your latest news?

I’m presently working on 4 books, ‘Date Night’ due the book from ‘Blue Christmas’ due for release May 26th. ‘Light up The Moon’ the 4th book in my paranormal series (The Bound Series). ‘Immortal Flame’, book 1 of my spin off paranormal series (Eternal Mates), and allso ‘Full Circle’, book 4 of my contemporary series (a Dennison Property Story).

What book are you reading now?

I’m reading ‘If he’s tempted’ by Hannah Howell and ‘The Beast’ by JR Ward. I’ve just finished ‘Tomek’ by the lovely T.L. Wainwright.


Your books are so emotional. How long does it take for you to be able to get the characters out of your mind and move on to the next?

I’m lucky that I tend to write series, so my characters tend to stay with me and make appearances in other books.


Are the names of the characters in your novels important?

A lot of my characters are chosen as their names have meaning. In ‘The Only One’, I called the main female Kat, short for Kata (meaning cat in Persian). Dan and Lauren out of ‘Date Night’ are named to get them as close to the characters Lorie and Dane in Blue Christmas (as date night is the book the main character is writing in Blue Christmas). Jaden and Balin in my bound series are named because the names mean warrior and cat in other languages and they are jaguar shifters who fight for their mates and friends and to keep others safe.


What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

Trying to shut your characters up, so writing their story is an important part of that. I’ve found it’s the only way to get them to be quiet.


What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?

I’ve been quite lucky, I haven’t had anything said about me, well not to my face anyway J  Although I did get quite a lot of troll attention when I brought out my first paranormal book. They hit it as soon as it went live, low ratings, nasty comments in reviews. I took it as a compliment (once I pulled up my big girl panties anyway). I then went ahead and added trolls into the series and let the rogue shifters play with them.






How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?

You should read and move on. We all have different views and tastes and no one’s books are going to be to everyone taste. If it’s constructive criticism I don’t have a problem, we all learn as we go and it’s how we grow as writers. Although I have found that as an indie author we are scrutinised more than those traditionally published.


What was the hardest part of writing your book?

I find it hard to block out other ideas while I finish one, I’m slowly learning to do that though.


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I’ve learned that some people actually like my work, which is the absolute best thing. I’ve also learned that I can finish something I’ve started.


Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I always try to include some form of a struggle in my books, to show how we can overcome and move on, or grow as people.


Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or a movie?

Only if it’s a realy clutzy one, someone who constantly loses things or falls over their own feet.


Describe in 5 words, your writing:

I write relateable characters.


What do you use to write your book?

I use a laptop; I write directly onto a word document which I then format. I’m also a pantster, so I just sit down with a rough idea and see what happens.


Do you listen to music while you write or read?

Not always, as listening to music can give me ideas; so, unless it’s music I’ve been listening to previously I tend to steer clear.








If you could write with any other author(s) who would it be and why?

I would pick Lynsay Sands if I could write with anyone. I love her female characters and how she gives them sass and backbone. I also love the humour she puts in her work.



NON- BOOK QUESTIONS



When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?

A singer or a writer


Did/Do you have a nickname?

Meats at school (due to my surname of Holland and its relation to Hollands pies). As I got older it changed to Jools, after Jools Holland.


What are your pet peeves?

People who don’t have manners, and being lied to.


What is your favourite coffee shop drink?

We have a local one called The Coffee House, it’s new and I love their Latte’s


What's your favourite tv show?

Criminal Minds


What is your favourite kind of cookie?

Oat and Raisin.


If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you have and why?

Moisturiser, books and Bear Grylls (obviously, he could hunt and build me a shelter)


Where would you go if you had a time machine?

I’d love to go back in time and watch my children grow again.



Which is your favorite quote?

Smile and the world smiles with you.


If you were an ice cream what flavor would you be?

Raspberry Ripple


What song best describes you?
It’s not over yet – For king and country



THIS OR THAT


Pepsi or Coke
None, I don’t drink fizzy pop


Michael Fassbender or Colin Farrell
Michael Fassbender

Cows or Sheep
Cows

. Castle or Town house
Castle

City or Country
Country

Lover or Fighter
Lover

Pop or Rock Music
Rock

80’s or 90’s
80’s

Singing or dancing


Dancing

No comments:

Post a Comment