Saturday 22 April 2017

Get to know interview with H.A. Robinson








Book Questions





Tell us your latest news?

Well, I've just released my third book, The Pebble Jar, which people have been enjoying more than I ever dreamed they would. It's a story that's really close to my heart, so the fact that people have been contacting me to tell me how much it's meant to them, too, is really making my year! 


What book are you reading now?

I'm currently reading Taking A Risk by our very own Caroline Easton, who I totally fangirl over!

Your books are so emotional. How long does it take for you to be able to get the characters out of your mind and move on to the next?

It varies from story to story, but generally I find that you never completely go quiet in your head. So you just wind up collecting more and more voices as you keep on writing. It's a wonder the men in white coats haven't dragged me away yet. 
Are the names of the characters in your novels important?

I like to find the right names for the characters, but it's very rare I use the name of a real person. There's only one instance where I've done that so far, and she knows who she is. :)

What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

Writing as often as I possibly can. That's literally it. The more I write, the saner I feel. 



What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?



I've been pretty lucky so far that I've managed to avoid a lot of the negativity that floats around. I try to surround myself with positive people. I've had constructive criticism of my work, but that can only be positive and help me to improve. I've never experienced the real nastiness that others have had, so I must be surrounding myself with all the right people. 


How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?

If it's constructive, I try to take what's said on board to improve my writing. If it's not, i
I just ignore it and move on. I'm not arrogant enough to suppose I could ever please everybody. 



What was the hardest part of writing your book?



The middle. I always struggle with the Middle third of the book. Every time. It's a pitfall I've tried to overcome by planning and over planning but the only thing that really works is to just keep writing!


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

With The Pebble Jar, I learned that no matter how hard you try to suppress your grief after losing loved ones, it will find a way out, even if it's through your words. <3

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I think the message in The Pebble Jar is that you should be kind always, no matter what, because you never know what that friend who's behaving oddly might be going through behind the scenes. 

Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or a movie?

Haha no. Trust me, nobody wants to see me in a movie!  

Describe in 5 words, your writing:

Emotional, raw, funny, and from the heart. 

What do you use to write your book?

I use a mixture of Scrivener, Word and google drive, depending where I am. I also make copious use of the notes on my phone and a dictaphone when I'm driving. 

Do you listen to music while you write or read?

I always listen to music when I write but rarely when I read. I make playlists for all my books in Spotify that capture the mood or theme of the story. 



If you could write with any other author(s) who would it be and why?



I've not thought too much about collaboration, though it would probably be one of the other Wonderland authors because those girls rock my world. <3 







NON- BOOK QUESTIONS



When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?

It varied... everything from an astronaut to a nurse, and all sorts in between!

Did/Do you have a nickname?

I have a few -- Bob, Bobbles, Bobbleobogus, Snoddy, Bobblifer! 

What are your pet peeves?

I can't stand general ignorance and bigotry. People who think others are less than them because of who they worship, who they happen to fall in love with, or anything else that ought to be insignificant when choosing who to be friends with. I believe the world would be a much better place if everybody just walked past the things they didn't approve of instead of forcing their opinions on others. 



What is your favourite coffee shop drink?



I live on Pepsi Max! 

What's your favourite tv show?

Game of Thrones



What is your favourite kind of cookie?



I'm more of a cake person really. I like anything lemon flavoured.



If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you have and why?



Books, sunscreen and mosquito repellant lol. Those bites are no joke! 



Where would you go if you had a time machine?



Boring answer perhaps but I'd simply go back to spend more time with my sister before she died.



Which is your favorite quote?



"Words are, in my not so humble opinions, our most inexhaustible source of magic." Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

If you were an ice cream what flavor would you be?
Mint choc chip is where it's at!

What song best describes you?

Probably Angel by Sarah MacLachlan. Not the title but the lyrics.





THIS OR THAT




Pepsi or Coke: Pepsi




Michael Fassbender or  Colin Farrell: Fassbender




Cows or Sheep: Sheep




. Castle or Town house: Castle




City or Country: Country but with regular visits to the city.




Lover or Fighter: Lover 




Pop or Rock Music: Rock




80’s or 90’s: 90's




Singing or dancing: Singing





"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic." 

No comments:

Post a Comment