Wednesday 29 March 2017

Get to know you interview with Tracie Podger



Book Questions

Tell us your latest news?

At the end of March I’ll be releasing Harlot. This novel accompanies my thrillers, Gabriel and A Deadly Sin. I’m excited for readers to meet Charlotte and Beau.
What book are you reading now?

I don’t read while I’m writing and right now, I’m writing my novella, Allana, which accompanies my thrillers.
Your books are so emotional. How long does it take for you to be able to get the characters out of your mind and move on to the next?

I can never truly let go of any of my characters. My mind is very congested! I do manage to shove them to one side so I can concentrate on whatever project I’m working on at the time.

Are the names of the characters in your novels important?

For sure! I think hard about what my main characters are to be called. I want names that really reflect the person, in my mind, and I’ll often have the name long before I’ve fully developed the story.
What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

I don’t know a sane writer, if you find one, let me know ;) Seriously, being professional, taking my job seriously, and coming to terms that I have people in my head and this time it’s not because I’ve gone mad!

What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?

I don’t think I’ve come across anything demeaning, but then I do live in a lovely bubble. An irritating question would be, ‘Have I read your books?’ I’m often baffled with that, and my response is something like, ‘Hold on, let me get inside your head and check.’
How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?

I don’t. Readers are entitled to their opinion and I respect that. Some bad reviews, I like, some I disagree with, but I don’t react to them. If there is something useful that can be taken from a bad review, I’ll make a note.
What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Right now, it’s hard not to be distracted by what’s going on around me. I recently moved house so I lost my writing space. Planning permitted, I’m about to start converting where I am into a house, so I know I’m going to be living on a building site for a while. When it’s all done, I’ll have my office back and I’ll be able to sit in the quiet and concentrate better.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I’m perhaps not as disciplined now as I believed I was. I don’t plan, as such. I’ll write notes, perhaps a biography of the characters but for my thrillers, I need to plot more.
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

No. I write so people can escape their lives for a few hours. I don’t want to give anything more than just an enjoyable experience, a great story, and some nice/not so nice characters to spend time with.
Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or a movie?

All the time! That’s the beauty of books and movies, you can lose yourself so much that you’re living what you’re reading/watching.
Describe in 5 words, your writing:

Sexy
Suspenseful
Fun
Fiction!
Intriguing

What do you use to write your book?

MacBook Pro, and a pad and pencil for notes.
Do you listen to music while you write or read?

Sometimes. At the moment my desk is in the living room so I have to block out any background noise – my dad might be watching the TV and I’ll put headphones on and play music. Ideally, I prefer quiet.
If you could write with any other author(s) who would it be and why?

I don’t think it’s something I could do unless we were writing dual POV. As for who? I have no idea ha ha




NON- BOOK QUESTIONS

When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?

An actress and an Olympic dressage rider! I used to be with the Old Vic Youth Theatre, that was fun.
Did/Do you have a nickname?

Tazmanian – I look like one when I lose my temper, according to my dad!

What are your pet peeves?

Oh, I have a few! Laundry on the floor beside the laundry basket is about the biggest.

What is your favourite coffee shop drink?

Latte. I don’t drink a great deal of coffee nowadays, so something milky seems a little healthier.

What's your favourite TV show?

I don’t really watch TV, I might watch a series on Prime or Netflix, but that’s about it. I did love The Fall!

What is your favourite kind of cookie?

Chocolate biscuits!

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you have and why?

A solar powered generator, a satellite phone, and my laptop – think of all the writing time! If I couldn’t take my phone, then Bear Grylls, he can be Man Friday and hunt and makes boats, and stuff.

Where would you go if you had a time machine?

Back three years. My dad had a huge stroke, I’m his full time carer, and I’d go back and get him to the hospital before he had the stroke if I could.

Which is your favorite quote?

One life, live it.

If you were an ice cream what flavor would you be?

Neapolitan – I’m a little of everything.

What song best describes you?

I did it my way.



THIS OR THAT

Pepsi or Coke

Diet Coke

Cows or Sheep

Cows, sheep have scary eyes.

. Castle or Town house

Castle

City or Country

Country, I dislike the city.

Lover or Fighter

Both!

Pop or Rock Music

Rock

80’s or 90’s

If I have to choose, then 90’s – don’t like either.

Singing or dancing


Singing

No comments:

Post a Comment