Monday 27 March 2017

Get to know you interview with Martin Tracey




Book Questions Martin Tracey

Tell us your latest news?
I’m working on ‘27’ the follow up novel to ‘Mind Guerrilla’ which will therefore feature Judd Stone again who has proved a popular character. ‘27’ explores the notion of the 27 Club, a name given to the collective of pop-stars who have incredibly died at the age of 27, including Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse and Kurt Cobain. My most recent book is ‘Things They’ll Never See’ another book with a musical inspiration but it is also a scary haunted house story. I’ve been doing lots of public appearances which I’ve really enjoyed. I popped up at the Liverpool 2017 event with a whole host of fab authors, but I also delivered a book launch for ‘Things They’ll Never See’ which went down soooooo well with a 90s tribute band playing live and a karaoke also featured.
What book are you reading now?
An apocalypse inspired novel by Indie author HJ Daly




Your books are so emotional. How long does it take for you to be able to get the characters out of your mind and move on to the next?
Quite quickly to be honest. I think as I enjoy the process of creating characters so much I don’t find it an issue.
Are the names of the characters in your novels important?
Very. I believe that one of the main fundamental elements to get right are character’s names as they form a picture of that character in the reader’s mind. For example, if you want a character to be a nasty and cruel vindictive kind it wouldn’t make sense to call her Angel. Would you really call a well-muscled rough and tough car mechanic Percy? (No offence to anyone called Percy)




What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?
Do your best but don’t treat yourself too seriously. Enjoy the ride.
What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?
“It was ok!”
How do you react to a bad review of one of your books?
Fortunately, this has seldom happened, but I really beat myself up before I convince myself that in the wide spectrum of things their opinion doesn’t really matter if it’s a minority view.
What was the hardest part of writing your book?
After writing the draft, re-reading and reading again and again until being happy with the final version.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I research a lot for my books in addition to living up to that old cliché of ‘writing what you know’ In ‘Beneath the Floodlights’ I learnt about the Romanian coast – I’ve never been! In ‘Mind Guerrilla’ I further learnt about the effects of multiple sclerosis, religious cults and mind control programmes.



Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?


Justice. I have a strong preference for justice and I love presenting the act of  revenge to achieve that justice.

Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or a movie?
When I was a kid I wanted to be Danny Zuko in Grease lol.



Describe in 5 words, your writing:
Honest, edgy, engaging, gripping, different
What do you use to write your book?
Always on my laptop. I write too many mistakes to use pen and paper.



Do you listen to music while you write or read?
Yes sometimes, which would usually be The Beatles, John Lennon solo stuff or George Michael. I don’t always need to listen to music which connects with the mood of the writing.



If you could write with any other author(s) who would it be and why?


Oooh what a great question. Probably Martina Cole, our approach is pretty similar I think – honest and edgy.



NON- BOOK QUESTIONS

When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?
A pop star. 



Did/Do you have a nickname?
I was known as Concorde at senior school due to having a slightly larger nose!
What are your pet peeves?
Cruelty to animals and kids – there’s just no need for it. And what modern-day talent shows and reality TV shows have done to music and entertainment industries.
What is your favourite coffee shop drink?
Chait latte made with soya milk.
What's your favourite tv show?
Obviously not The X Factor lol. Emmerdale is a guilty pleasure but I really like the 9 o’clock dramas that come around.
What is your favourite kind of cookie?
                                                                                        Anything with chocolate
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you have and why?
My Beatles cds (assuming I had electricity and something to play them on) to keep me sane; my family i.e. wife and kids – they’re all I need really; and my Kindle so I could read a lot and hopefully still be able to perpetually download books.
Where would you go if you had a time machine?
1960s and grab a ticket to see The Beatles
Which is your favorite quote?
Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans – John Lennon
If you were an ice cream what flavor would you be?
Fudge, I’m a big softie.
What song best describes you?


Paperback Writer


THIS OR THAT

Pepsi or Coke
Pepsi

Cows or Sheep
Sheep

. Castle or Town house
Castle

City or Country
Country

Lover or Fighter
Lover

Pop or Rock Music

80’s or 90’s
80s

Singing or dancing
singing




No comments:

Post a Comment