Friday 21 April 2017

Get to know you interview - Melody Winters



Book Questions

 Tell us your latest news? 

I'm due to release my first contemporary romance, STARSHINE, on the 29th May. It's a change of genre for me as my other books are romantic fantasy. I'm really nervous about it! Having said that, I'm hoping to have paperbacks of STARSHINE with me at the signing, so anyone who would like a copy two weeks before it's released, can buy one from me on the day (including some lovely swag)



 What book are you reading now?

 I have so many books lined up on my kindle it's embarrassing. I've not read anything over this last month because I've been editing STARSHINE, and I shut myself away to get it finished and available at York. The next book I'm planning to read is BITE SOMEBODY, by Sara Dobie Bauer.


 Your books are so emotional. How long does it take for you to be able to get the characters out of your mind and move on to the next? 

It doesn't really. Because I know my characters so well, I can switch between multiple books, or concentrate on the one that's talking to me the most. If I'm writing a sad scene, and I'm not crying as I'm writing it then I know it's not good enough. I recently wrote a really sad scene when one of the main characters dies. I was a wreck for days!!

 Are the names of the characters in your novels important?

Oh my gosh. I obsess over this. The names have to be JUST right. Although I must have a think for putting my characters together with names beginning with A and E. (it took my pre-reader to point it out to me--I never realised!) I have Athena and Erebus, Estelle and Azariah, Ella and Alex. In my next book I've already settled on Grace and Elliot, so at least I've lost the A this time!


 What  are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

 To have other interests, and friends that make you forget about the stress that comes with being a published author. It's too easy to lose yourself in the world you've created, but you have to remember reality, however hard that may be. My friends, family, and to some degree my work colleagues treat me as me, not an author, and that's so important even if it's annoying at times!

 What is the most demeaning thing said about you as a writer?

 'It doesn't take any skill or talent to write a book. Anyone can do it.' Hmmm . . .


 How do you react to a bad review of one of your books? 

I don't bother with them unless they offer some constructive criticism, which they are usually lacking. I don't expect everyone who reads my books to love them, but hopefully they won't hate them.


 What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Making sure I've done enough research before I start. I find it a necessary frustration. Also, discovering plot holes as I'm writing. I like to have things planned out before I start writing and finding that I've missed a really important part or forgotten about something that happened earlier, drive me crazy.


 Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

 My romantic fantasy (4 book series) has reference to the venom from the blue ringed octopus. I had to research for something that could kill but was untraceable and easy to inflict on enemies. The research I did on sea creatures/plants and their various poisons and weapons was pretty extensive. And I also learnt quite a bit about what herbs and plants were used for medicines and contraceptive many years ago - this was for INIQUITY. In fact, a question came up on Pointless the other week and I was screaming at the TV that the answer was Queen Anne's Lace. (Used as a contraceptive, even nowadays in some countries) My husband thought I was crazy. I was right though!!!


 Have you ever read or seen yourself as a character in a book or a movie?

 No, But I think there is a little bit of me in all my female characters. Not how I am, but how I'd like to be. My females are usually quite strong and don't let their men walk all over them.


 Describe in 5 words, your writing:

 Mythical, romantic, mysterious, sexy, adventurous.


What do you use to write your book?

 My desktop or laptop. I also have a note book with all my ideas scribbled in.


 Do you listen to music while you write or read?

 I used to, but now I find that I write quicker and more intensely when I have silence. Having said that, I love music and get obsessed about finding the right songs to go with the story I'm writing.



 NON - BOOK QUESTIONS

 When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?

 An artist. I loved art as a child, and still let my artistic flair flourish every so often.

  What are your pet peeves?

 Ignorant people, and those that think they're better than you.

 What is your favourite coffee shop drink?

 Caramel Latte.

 What's your favourite tv show?

 The music channels always get a bashing in our house when I have the power of the remote control. Anything form the 80's gets the volume pushed up!

 What is your favourite kind of cookie?

 White chocolate

 If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you have and why? 

Endless supplies of notebooks and pens, and an Ipod full of music that never ran out of charge. Why--so I could write all the worlds, and listen to all the music :)

 Which is your favorite quote?

 "If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves." – Thomas A. Edison

  If you were an ice cream what flavor would you be? Strawberry shortcake




 THIS OR THAT
 Pepsi or Coke - Coke
 Michael Fassbender or Colin Farrell - Colin
 Cows or Sheep - Cows .
 Castle or Town house - Castle
 City or Country - Country
 Lover or Fighter - Fighter
 Pop or Rock Music - Pop
 80’s or 90’s - 80's
 Singing or dancing - Singing

No comments:

Post a Comment